The Province of Ontario is extremely serious when it comes to commercial vehicle accidents or traffic tickets. In addition the Ministry of Transportation employs a variety of techniques and strategies to assure all road users are able to deliver their commercial goods to their intended destination safely and on time. Below you will find more information directly from the provincial government about commercial safety requirements for motor vehicles operating in Ontario.
A commercial motor vehicle is defined by the Province as:
a truck or highway tractor with a gross weight or registered gross weight of more than 4,500 kilograms (kg) OR a bus with a seating capacity for ten or more passengers
Further the MTO states quite clearly:
Compliance with commercial vehicle regulations is enforced on-road by Ministry of Transportation enforcement officers and police officers, as well as through facility audits.
Ministry officers and police conduct inspections on commercial vehicles to make sure they are being operated safely by qualified drivers. Where a commercial motor vehicle or trailer is found to be in such an unsafe condition that it endangers other people on the highway, the vehicle may be prohibited from operating until required repairs are made.
Commercial vehicle drivers and companies that fail to comply with many of these requirements may be fined up to $20,000.
Here are some additional resources and information:
- Commercial Vehicle Safety: A comprehensive breakdown about commercial safety regulations from the province of Ontario.
- Commercial Vehicle Tickets (CVOR): Your legal options if you receive a CVOR ticket or involved in a commercial vehicle accident while working.
- Toronto Speeding Tickets: What happens when you fail to obey the speeding limit in a work vehicle.
- CVOR Registration Details: Details all drivers and commercial carriers should be aware of regarding vehicle registration.
- CVOR Letters: What happens if you receive a CVOR warning letter from the government of Ontario.
- Toronto Careless Driving Ticket: Learn your options if you’re charged with careless operation of a commercial vehicle in Ontario.
- Carrier Safety Ratings: The latest safety ratings for all commercial drivers and carriers.
This page was created on April 14, 2016 and last updated on August 22, 2018.